Did You Know That Beard Hair Can Also Be Transplanted?
Myths And Facts About Hair Transplant
Many out of us take our hair for granted just like our health until they are all gone and that is time when we think about treatments like hair transplants. Hair transplantation is a surgical technique that moves individual hair follicles from a part of the body called the ‘donor site’ to a bald or balding part of the body known as the ‘recipient site’. It is necessary to understand that hair transplantation is the only permanent solution to baldness. It is a method that involves extracting live roots that have hair follicles from the back of the head and thus implanting them on the recipient area. The market of hair transplantation is increasing at a very fast pace but still many people have false notions about it.
There are two techniques used for hair transplantation: FUT (Follicular Unit Transplantation) and FUE (Follicular Unit Extraction). In FUT, a strip of tissue is cut from the scalp, before cutting it into thousands of follicular units. These units are then placed around the head after the holes are created at the recipient area. In this technique, there is a visible scar on the head of the patient. In FUE, the grafts are taken out one by one. There is no scar in this process. At La skinnovita, we use the advanced version of FUE called DHT (Direct Hair Transplantation) in which the grafts from the donor area goes to the recipient area without touching any of the roots in just 5 to 10 minutes and the overall surgery time is reduced to 40% to 50% and chances of regrowth with this technique is almost 100%.
This unique techniques also has many advantages
- Only hair follicles are removed.
- No blood loss
- Real growth of hair
- No resting at home
- No scar
- No stitches
- Drive back home
- No cuts
- No pain
TRUTH ABOUT HAIR TRANSPLANT
People come to me with many myths in context to hair transplant like:
- It is essential to take medicines throughout the life to avoid any risk: The reality is totally opposite as the hair that are transplanted are permanent and there is no medicines that you need to take for lifetime for these hair.
- The surgery is very painful: The fact is that there is no pain during or after the completion of the treatment as the surgery is done under local anaesthesia.
- The surgery badly affects the brain: The fact is that hair transplant involves treatment with only the skin of your scalp. There is no link with the brain in any part of the treatment.
- A lot of post treatment care is required: The fact is once the transplant is done, hair starts growing naturally and you can do whatever you want to do with them. Style them your way. You can use the shampoo and oil of your choice.
- The process of hair transplantation is carried out using your own hair and the hair that are transplanted grow automatically without any maintenance or medical assistance.
- The result of hair transplantation vary as per the type of hair, the degree of baldness and amount of hair that are present in the donor area. It varies from individual to individual.
- The cost of the treatment depends on number of hair grafts that are transplanted. Lesser the number of grafts transplanted more is the cost.
- Hair transplantation usually takes a day and there is no need to stay in a hospital for the treatment. Post treatment care is required for at least a week.
- After 3 to 6 weeks of surgery, the hair transplanted fall out and new growth occurs after few months. Hair growth drugs are taken to improve the growth after transplantation.
- For best results, it is important that hair transplanted should look like natural hair growth and the designing of hairline should be as good as natural. Also, the follicle density should be transplanted in a way that there should not be any visible gap.
- Some people do not have enough hair in the ‘donor’ area that is the back of the head. In such cases, beard and other body hair can be used for transplant.
- When hair is transplanted next to existing hairs, there is trauma to those native hairs that result in collateral loss. In such cases, PRP can be used which is a bio matrix that repairs and remodels damaged tissue. Platelet-rich plasma (PRP) has really been a tremendous area of benefit to our patients after the transplant along with medicines for best results and for maintaining the existing hair. It gives you can opportunity to try to save your existing hair as well as maximize the survivability of the grafts.
At La skinnovita, our patients are subject to in-depth assessment and post analysis of hair loss and damage we advice for hair transplantation. We have a team of experts that educate and guide the patients about the right treatment and offer services with a difference.
Dr. Anuj Pall is a renowned dermatologist in Gurgaon and has deep knowledge and expertise in the field of hair transplant.